Sunday, October 25, 2020

Heading South (Mile 2,426, Trail Mile 77.95)

 The last couple of stops on our journey have been interesting, in that none of us had ever spent any time in the north west. I'm not even sure what to call it. Northwest doesn't sound right because that calls to mind the great Pacific Northwest - temperate rain forests and giant pine trees. But, it is the northern part of the western states: Idaho, Wyoming, Montana. 

We spent our last few days in Jackson enjoying this new and fascinating part of the country. For Nate and Rachel, that means lots of time strolling around town, enjoying the local vibe, and avoiding the unmasked hordes. 




For me, it means enjoying the view from my "home office." And, I certainly can't complain about my office in Jackson. It was the lap of luxury. I even had my own fireplace!



Jackson was also a great place for post-work family walks in the evening. There were a few amazing playgrounds just a few blocks away (though it was almost too cold to enjoy them). Rachel and Nathan also found the oddest thing just a short walk from our condo: a cemetery on the side of a ski slope. It had graves dating back to the late 1800s, so it clearly predated the hill's time as a ski resort. And, it was one of the strangest graveyards I'd ever seen: plots laid out almost randomly, some well-maintained, some fading off into the forest edge. Many were built into peculiar platforms, presumably because this was a steep hillside. It really ramped up the Halloween-y mood.



As much we enjoyed our time in Jackson, by Friday it was time to turn the family adventure-mobile south to more familiar territory: Utah, specifically Capitol Reef National Park. As it turned out, I had a brief discussion to lead during a work conference call on Friday morning. No problem, I thought. We'll be on major roads the whole way. What could go wrong? Rachel took over driving so that I could focus on my call, but fifteen minutes out, we were still completely without cell service! Resourceful as ever, Rachel pulled the car over on a dirt road on the highest hill we could find, and there we sat while I took my call. 


After that, it was smooth sailing for the rest of this LONG day in the car. We drove south through Park City and Provo, which were, of course, beautiful in their fall foliage.


We finally arrived at our quaint little cottage on a dirt road. What a view!


We sat out for a bit and enjoyed the view. We also took a stroll around the 5-acre property.



Then it was time to settle in with a good book on the couch.


Here's what our map looks like now.












1 comment:

  1. I'm really enjoying your pictures and commentary, as well as Rachel's on FB. It's pretty cool that you guys will be celebrating 3 birthdays and an anniversary (as well as Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas) on the road!!

    ReplyDelete

Epilogue: Dreams Probably Come True

Having finally arrived in Oregon, our last major source of stress was finding a home. After all, we don't know the area, and, since I wo...